Wednesday, September 26, 2012

i love paris in the rain... or not

Let me be one hundred percent honest. 
I have, ever since I was old enough to appreciate Paris, loved the city no matter what - rain, storm, sunshine, summer, winter, spring or autumn. To me, the city has always been amusing. 
I've lived here for almost two months now (yikes!). My French is improving a lot and I no longer feel like I'm on holiday. I live here. I'm an 18-year-old Danish girl living in Paris.

Fabulous, of course. It's a dream coming true, and I appreciate every single day.
But along with the "I-actually-live-in-this-country-and-will-have-to-live-by-its-rules"-feeling, comes a whole lot of disadvantages. I guess, once you really settle in, you notice all the bad things. Ultimately, it compares to traveling and (in most cases) liking the place you have just visited.

So my point exactly (excuse me, if I'm being vague)...
My point is, that I am slowly starting to notice the bad things about Paris - or France in general; just like I know the disadvantages of Copenhagen and Denmark.

Today it rained.
Correction: It poured down.
A, my boyfriend, keeps saying: "I love Paris in the rain". In the beginning of our residence I found it ever so romantic - and furthermore, I agreed.
That was, of course, until today, where I noticed just how sad, grey and ugly this city can be. Copenhagen is grey, yes - probably even more grey. But to my surprise, Paris could be too. I realized that A's quote was (sorry) complete bullshit. It is nothing but a sugar-coted, romanticized picture of the ugly truth.

So I got angry. My shoes were wet, my socks were wet, all of my clothing was wet. I started thinking about how hopeless this country actually can be.
But as I walked home just half an hour ago (with semi-wet socks and shoes), I looked up (from the semi-wet pavement) and saw Sacre Coeur. The amazing church on a mountaintop in the middle of a city like Paris.
That's when it occurred to me: I may not like Paris in the rain, and I may still be pissed that my french cellphone still isn't working. I may not always like Paris. I may not always be amused by it. Today, Paris kicked my ass. Tomorrow (I hope) it will let me fall in love all over again.

Much love and gros bisous
Thea



Pssssssssssssssssssssssst: I am SO SORRY that I haven't been blogging much the last couple of days. I have so much stuff I want to share with you all, but I haven't gotten around to it yet since my BFF Emma (read about her here in danish), my mother, sister and brother all are in Paris. Give me a week, and I'll show you an amazing vintage-bargain I found amongst much, much more.



drawing from 'mylittleparis'-app for iPhone


☆ ☆ 

No comments:

Post a Comment